In its pursuit of environmental sustainability alongside its business development Jindal Stainless Limited has setup norms beyond the statutory requirements and has put into place systems and processes to continuously monitor the effectiveness of such initiatives. We firmly believe that Corporate growth is strengthened by our efforts in the area of environment protection and making a greener tomorrow. The Company goes beyond mere compliance legislation to create a healthy environment both within and outside plants. Our operations have a fully equipped environment management infrastructure in place. We use suitable processes and technology to make stainless steel without adversely impacting the environment. Jindal Stainless has its work practices aligned with international occupational health and safety standards (OHSAS) and ISO 140001.
We have laid fresh thrust towards enhancing our resource efficiency in operations, especially for key resources such as energy and water. Additionally we are adopting the '3-R' (reduce, reuse and recycle) philosophy for all types of wastes towards prevention of pollution and dispose of inevitable wastes and set, monitor, and review objectives and targets on an ongoing basis towards continuous improvement in environmental performance and the overall environmental management system.
To be in harmony with nature, Jindal Stainless Limited, continues its efforts such as tree plantation, maintenance of green belts and gardens in and around our manufacturing units, vermi-compost of waste and its use as manure, recycling of treated water in cooling water system and in horticulture activities, etc.
- A state of the art environmental laboratory has been set up to conduct environmental monitoring & analysis regularly.
- Two nos. of online continuous ambient air quality monitoring stations have been installed.
- Environmental Management System is in place to undertake prevention and control of all sorts of pollution.
- Efficient use of all key resources (water, energy, raw materials, etc) through its effective management and technological measures are being practiced.
- Highly qualified environmental professionals have been deployed to manage the Environment management Cell.
- Continuous efforts are being made to ensure that all employees are environmentally aware.
- Air emissions are being treated with state-of-the-art facilities like Dust Extraction Systems, Electrostatic Precipitators, bag filters, Ventury, dry fog system, low NOX burners, etc. Best housekeeping is maintained by having all concrete / tar roads, and use of pneumatic vacuum road sweepers, water sprinkling through tankers, rotating water sprinklers, dedicated housekeeping crew, etc.
- Each plant has its own separate state of the art effluent treatment plants (ETP) designed by reputed suppliers. Coke Oven plant ETP is designed & supplied by M/s Shougang, while its O&M is being undertaken by M/s NALCO. CRM – ETP has been designed by M/s Andritz, Austria, where as HSM—ETP has been designed by M/s MECON & M/s Thermax Ltd. Effluent is treated efficiently in plant specific effluent treatment plants. Specified Norms of Orissa State Pollution Control Board are ensured. Entire Treated waste water is being reused / utilized for various purposes viz., hot slab / coil cooling, slag quenching, dilution water, ash slurry making, road washing, shop floor washing, fire fighting, horticulture, gardening, etc.
- Sewage Treatment Plant has been installed to treat domestic waste water to meet the specified norms of OSPCB. Domestic waste water in project areas is treated in soak pits. The entire domestic waste water after treatment is being completely reused in plantation which is an established practice world-wide.
- Waste segregation is done at source.
- Proper procedures / measures are undertaken to collect, segregate and store at a designated locations for all types of wastes, making disciplined management of solid wastes.
- Slag is being stock piled in systematic manner at designated storage site.
- Process dusts are recycled in the process in the form of briquettes.
- 100% of fly ash is being utilized for filling in low lying areas / abandoned laterite quarries, after obtaining due prior approval from OSPCB and concerned authorities/parties, in an environmental friendly manner. Such sites once a degraded land, have now turned out to be of potential use for infrastructure development viz., educational institutions, parade ground, play ground, truck parking, school, real estate, etc.
- No hazardous waste is presently generated from our Plant.
- Used oil is being stored at designated location and is sold to CPCB approved / registered recyclers.
Rain Water Harvesting
A dedicated concrete storm water drain network already exists across our entire complex. We have already implemented surface run-off (rain) water harvesting scheme at our downstream point of the plant site at the cost of ~ Rs. 2 Crores. It consists of series of 3 nos. huge capacity setting pits and 2 heavy duty pumps of 250 m3/hour capacity each. The surface run-off is passed through series of settling pits and continuously pumped through about 3 km long pipeline network, into our existing raw water reservoir, for onward treatment in Water Treatment Plant & utilization in our process. This harvests rain water (6 lac cum) during monsoon resulting in significant water conservation and also reduce the corresponding quantity of water drawl from IDCO / river.
- An extensive plantation and green landscape with more than 1,65,011 forest tree species already planted in and around the Complex over 82.56 hectares of land till date.
- Apart from avenue plantation with forest species, shrubs have been planted as a second canopy all along the road sides.
- Trees and lawns in the Plant premises and Staff Colony are served with treated waste water from the Plant / township.
- A beautiful pond behind the Stainless House and nature parks has been created within plant premises.